Thoughts and more

It's been a busy month with interesting techniques being presented in the CMD classes and the ebb and tide of people drifting in and out of the classes. The looming thoughts and commitments to the CMD program is on my mind and I am concerned with the exodus of members due to other life responsibilities.

While I try to keep the program material on course and fresh with twists to the main course it is enough to retain the current membership but I'm not doing much to attract new clients (aside from Personal Training ones). Admittedly I've been focusing more on developing the PT clientele which is working out well now so I can't complain about the dwindling numbers in the group class. It works out to benefit the 8 people in the program now and I'm comfortable with this number.

We shall see what transpires over the remaining months of 2008.

On the BJJ front, I've been tasked with teaching the no-gi portion of this month's classes. It's not my forte as I've mostly focused on a gi game but enjoy no-gi for what it is anyway.

I continue with the study on hip movement, working the angles and position leading to positional counters and sweeps. I'm not looking for submissions as the typical mindset of most beginners is to look for submissions first and positions last.

I often play the mundane and drole elements of the game, finding or creating the angles, recognizing the opportunities and capitalizing on them. My training partners will think that I'm developing something new but there isn't really anything new, it's just a variation of some other variation of an existing principle. My game is based on positional control. It's fun, and I'd daresay it's more fun for me than getting a submission in some respects, although in BJJ, that is the objective but I'm quite happy playing from an inferior position and working my way out or allowing graduating levels of control to my opponent and see what happens from there. It's a fun game. I hope that when people attend my BJJ classes they can see that it is not only experimental but they have a say in what they want to drill or learn. For example, in this evening's class, I presented hip movement drills, moving around a standing partner to the back, getting an X-guard and some light resistance drills followed by a timed 3-person rolling drill which is spaced within 00:00:45, :30 and :20 second intervals. It's fun, mentally as challenging as physical and it develops a humbling experience for all involved.

With all the techniques in the CMD and BJJ programs, it can get a little overwhelming to think of the sheer range of techniques you get to learn in a month. Some of the material is repeated while there will always be modifications and variations adjusted to your individual abilities. Personally as a trainer I think you should put on your "me" hat sometimes and see the what and how's best improve your skills. I don't get nearly as many questions or post-lecture from the BJJ class than my CMD class. I should but I don't.

If you don't ask, you don't get. I can't mind read nor am I "holding back" any techniques. Folks, you are paying for these classes so the best way to improve is to initiate a series of questions. If you simply come in for the sparring then leave you will improve ever so slowly because the likelihood of you repeating the same mistakes will be very high until someone recognizes it and improves it.

Think about it for a minute. I am here to help you but I can only do that when you ask.

As always I am available to answer any questions you have about the classes I have presented this week. Email or post to this blog.

See you back on the mats.

Comments

It is sad that there aren't more people coming into the CMD class but I feel that it's the natural progression of things: water finds it's own level.

I for one am really happy with the classes and what I am learning. The way it's going at the moment, the private lessons are obviously more lucrative for you and growing so it wouldn't suprpise me if the group classes are removed in 2009

But I hope not. While I have always learnt a lot personally from the private sessions; there is something about learning this in a group environment which is unique beneficial

Popular Posts