Note to self

Fingernails can break and crack at the oddest angles.

So I was coaching a BJJ personal training class and teaching the student how to grip fight as I have done several times before. This time, like many others I had a cross lapel grip deep inside the collar when he executed a perfect grip release, two hand anchored at my wrist and a sharp backwards snap popping off my hand from the collar... and cracking off half my finger nail. I've had fingernails and toenails break in the past but usually only at the very ends of the nail, however; this time the nail caught on the lip where the lapel is stitched to the jacket and it cracked it like the top end of the nail.

I never realized that it could bleed so much but fortunately it looked a lot nastier than it hurt. I had to clip off the cracked half as it would end up interfering and getting snagged by something else.

I'll save you the grimace of looking at any photos of the broken nail but I would suppose it would send a village-ful of manicurists into a collective shock if they eyeballed it.

Note to self: when coaching grip fighting, don't hold on so bloody tight next time.

Comments

Charles Wong said…
Dang coach, that's gross. And stop gripping newbies so hard. They are not going to run away from paying their fees. He he...

Hope your nail grow back to it's immaculate self. ;)

Popular Posts