Onwards and upwards

It's been 2 years at Jeet Academy now. We have seen some changes, most noticeably, the appearance of a fully matted gym after much coaxing, with high-quality cushioning foam to help maintain the service life of our fragile joints and to reduce the impacts of gaffs that is ubiquitous in jiu jitsu training. At no small expense, these are welcomed additions that has slowly increased the number of willing students to commence their BJJ journeys at Jeet.

As the new year begins (2023), the world situation being what it is, I'm unsure whether, in the shadow of a quieter viral infection, of a better year ahead. The IMF has strong words about an impending financial meltdown that will affect at least a quarter of the world, parts of Northern Europe is at war, the Far East with its flip-flop policies on quarantines all throw more fuel to the flame of global warming, the threat of an emerging and potentially malevolent AI technology cracking open a new Age of Knowledge.

Mae Ram Phueng Beach, Rayong, Thailand 2021

Rather than being distracted of things beyond my control, I chose to chip away and rebuild back some sense of my 'normal'. The new normal being that I no longer have a full time gym to manage. No staff issues. No business bills or business partners to manage. My classes are very much tailored around where my headspace allows and what my aging body approves. It feels better that I can do this.

December 2022 at Jeet Academy

There are plans to accept more students this year and to continue to unload my knowledge and experience to the current cadre in hopes they too will have students of their own one day. There is interest to organize overseas training trips to explore new places and train with other students and teachers. To explore new environments and cultures before they all eventually disappear or merge into something that is indistinguishable from our own realities. This voluntary travel to add life variety and stresses of being in unfamiliar conditions are part of our human fabric to explore and experience fear at micro levels. This excitement reminds us of our mortality and how fleeting life is. Every roll on the mats brings with it possible injury, minor or otherwise, but it keeps us mentally and physically focused on the task at hand. I hope that this year we get to check off these boxes and more.

2022 Year end dinner at Grand Harbour, KL


In the meantime, I continue with my own training and struggle to stay physically active and mindfully focused on what I can achieve without being pulled astray by bad news, politics or unavoidable global conditions. I hope the same for you.

With all my optimism, I wish you, dear reader, a Happy New Year.


Get your VCBJJ technical rashguard here

Comments

Popular Posts