Monkey Jits @ KDT Academy

Part of the CMD Program includes Monkey Jits, a range of fighting where close contact, grappling and wrestling comes into play.
Before I first started BJJ I used to wonder how to deal with people grabbing me, at my clothes or at my neck (like in the movies) and back then it was a case of "punch them to make them let go".


Then along came BJJ and now that has taught me to use the offending arm as the focus of my attack (at the elbow or shoulder) and as things progressed smoothly in BJJ with my arm-attack theory, the Monkey Jits program kind of turned things back to the beginning where I now have more options. I could attack the offending arm and I still can and probably should punch them until they let go or do both at the same time. Of course it didn't take me that long to figure that out but with each layer of information that I learned in BJJ I had to reframe it in a context that was applicable to what I needed to address questions about personal safety.

On the most part people learn BJJ for fun, sport, workout benefits or competition. For Monkey Jits, although they are very similar the competitiveness aspect is downplayed in the sense that when you "roll" (spar) you won't be rewarded with a medal or even if you "win" while practicing in the studio, it's still practice.

The winner is usually viewed as the person who successfully applies a submission or who gets the tap, however; I also consider the person who successfully defends and escapes a bad position to be a winner too.

As much as I can I try to find ways to get the class members to be in a win-win situation and not focusing on the tap.

As such the win may be achieved by both in the training format that I learned from Rigan Machado in the class drill and revision at the end in front of everyone. That's a really powerful way to instill and repeat the skills learned during class. The nervousness and having to remember and repeat the correct technique under pressure and in the limelight serves to replicate (for some) the pressures of competition without a competition.

In Monkey Jits, everyone's a winner.

Comments

Popular Posts