A weighty displacement


So I've been working a little bit of technique here and there. Things like getting more weight in my "S-mount" (like the picture above), my baseball bat choke when people try to "pass" my guard (kinda baiting them) and other little things.

The top game requires a fair amount of sensitivity when placing weight on your training partner, and strangely the more "offset" that I sit on them the "heavier" it feels. Something I recently picked up was to S-mount perpendicular (90o for everyone else) to my training partner, meaning that my hips are parallel to his spine. This means I can transfer most of my weight onto my partner's upper body and chest cavity, thus effectively pinning him down and permitting me plenty of time to work in a submission.

Honestly, I'm not good at maintaining the mount, usually going with my opponent's hip bridges and Upa escapes. I prefer playing guard but I feel that having a strong top game will also be necessary. By no means am I advocating you do what I do, rather, I have decided to work on my S-mount and Sitting mount instead of the regular full mount specifically for my BJJ sport game. When I'm playing to include strikes it's a different game with very different emphasis but I will transition to the submission aspects when I'm not striking from the mount. The weight placement will be very different.

It's really no fun when you're stuck on the bottom and the top guy is throwing strikes instead of slowly working in a submission, the panic button is punched pretty quickly!

The skills involved here are:
1. timing (when to apply your pin, hold, and when to "weigh" down)
2. weight placement (where to move the weight: belly, solar plexus, sternum, shoulder, etc.)
3. movement transition (moving your weight from one position to another seamlessly, i.e. not giving up your control or getting reversed) so this will mean a thorough understanding of pins and holds

I like to train with intention and deliberate techniques. I study my partner's reactions to my actions and baits. Somethings will work better than others and the ones which work most often are the ones I concentrate on and improve on them.

In the above, the scenarios include the ability to recognise whether I am able to apply a submission or effective strikes, or a combination of both.

It all comes down to weight!

Comments

Popular Posts