Any less a champion?

Welterweight boxer, Ricky Hatton lies on the canvas after being pummeled by Floyd Mayweather for 10 rounds in their WBC welterweight fight in Las Vegas, USA in 2007.

In preparation of this ti
tle challenge Hatton lost 18kg (40lbs) as he does with almost all his pro fights. He trains relentlessly and observes a strict diet during the training period leading up to his fight, afterwhich he returns to his pre-fight off season weight, 40lbs heavier.

The drastic yo-yo intensive lifestyle change from a world class professional athlete to a regular Joe, downing Guinness by the dozen, washing down fries and other deep fried foods leaves me wondering whether he's any less a champion.

He's stood and fought the best in his industry, putting aside all his life's worries in 10 rounds of hand-to-hand combat. He's made sacrifices to his lifestyle, and I can relate to that.

Running KDT is much in the same way. The academy is rolling into its 5th year and the momentum is making the snowball larger everyday. I'm not just talking about the daily physical training, but also the studying, class preparations, seminar attendance, event organization and so on takes its toll on the body and mind. Things that the "once or twice-a-week-member" does not see and probably have no idea about the background machinery.


Do I feel like Mr. Hatton, binging on Guinness and deep-fried foods during the off season? Sure thing!

I know I have the next 11.5 months of work set out for me. That's a hell of a long round in boxing terms but I set up the ring now I've got to get in it. I just hope I remember how to roll with the punches.

A lot of the times running the gym feels like the picture on the left. I manage to get off one set of escalators only to find there's another that needs to be climbed. It's all good though as there's always space for a breather on each floor and I know the levels are always ta
king me higher on the ladder of success (personal and professional).

This year, my plate's pretty full of things that require attention. I've got my personal goals as well as my professional aspirations some of which I'll reveal with you as we get along this year. Some of you who know me well will also know what I'll be busy with so I thank you in advance for your support.






Comments

Charles Wong said…
Yo yo lifestyle? Hey, who seez you can dis my lifestyle in public? He he... :D

Well, me thinks each person has his/her own way of chilling out after a demanding or stressful event. Look at the way the runner up in TUF 2 binged after a major win. Some ways are good, some aren't. Care to elaborate more on what's good in your books? Maybe put it in your next entry ya.
Vince Choo said…
I find that being in very good physical shape: e.g. fit, good cardio, healthy lifestyle, good nutritional choices, restful sleep allows me to handle all the stress that life throws in my direction. In fact, the better physical condition I'm in, the better I'm able to cope with life's ups and downs.

Drinking like a fish, smoking like a chimney, isn't going to allow you to make clear, informed decisions. This also goes for substance abuse and binge eating (which may be many people's problem in Malaysia because it's not illegal)... yet

Popular Posts